[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.0 usage notes...

chuq von rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:57:24 -0700

On Tuesday, April 10, 2001, at 11:36  PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I'd love for this to happen, but someone else is going to have to do
> the heavy lifting.

yah. If I have time, but I think I'd rather put that time into
evaluating and moving to postfix, myself.

> In MM2.1, we essentialy do the same os.listdir() but we shuffle the
> files randomly before looping over them.

I'd really recommend FIFO, Barry. I kinow when my queue starts
shuffling, it drives my users crazy (because they write to ask why
stuff's coming out of sequence). The end-users really seem to expect
FIFO, or at least mostly FIFO. It becomes a lot more important with
digest users -- they freak when stuff comes in the digest randomized.

> run the loop infinitely.  This combined with the parallelizability of
> the qrunner processes, and the splitting of the queue directories
> should, I think, solve the problems you're seeing.

yup. I'm not expecting it to be fixed in 2.0.x as much as making sure
it's taken into consideration for 2.1 -- because I know even with the
parallelization, we'll still run into servers big enough to have to
worry about it (mine sure seems headed there...)

> Several comments.  I intend to add a feature to MM (tho' probably not
> until 3.0) that would let users register mutiple addresses under a
> single account.

Yes, I'm getting more and more requests for this.

> OTOH, matching "bwarsaw@python.org" with "bwarsaw@mail.python.org"
> regardless of which is in the bounce and which is in the database,

warning, plot complication. warning, plot complication.

You can't assume this to be true for third level domains. Overseas, it's
NOT true -- because in many cases, the third level of the domain is the
equivalent to the second level in .com. So if you assume that
fred@anglican.co.uk is the same as fred@catholic.co.uk, you just messed
up badly, because anglican and catholic are different companies. You run
into a rathole here REAL fast, because the assumptions that are true for
.com, .edu, and .net aren't true for the country domains, where in many
cases, it all bumps out one sub-level (foo.com.br, boo.edu.pl, etc)

> Mind submitting a bug report about this?

yeah, I'll get it in as soon as I can.

> In MM2.1, you could tune the bounce qrunner to work less often, giving
> priority to the incoming and outgoing queues.

parallelism solves my problem, since the machine in hand is an E250 with
two cpu's, one of which is really bored...

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

USENET is a lot better after two or three eggnogs. We shouldn't allow
anyone on the net without a bottle of brandy. (chuq von rospach, 1992)