[Mailman-Developers] syncmail - patch to handle filenames with spaces

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:52:58 -0400

    GP> This qualifies as a hack in my book, but it works well for our
    GP> repository.  I modified an unknown version of the python
    GP> syncmail script on our CVS server to properly deal with
    GP> filenames in the cvs repository that have spaces in them.
    GP> Attached are the patch against our previous version of
    GP> syncmail and an actual copy of our whole syncmail script
    GP> (since it has no obvious version numbers, etc).

    GP> Why send this here?  A friend pointed me to the mailman
    GP> project as being the maintainers of the python syncmail
    GP> script.  I hope he's right (i didn't see anything obvious
    GP> mentioning such on the webpage).

    GP> Previously the version of syncmail we used would send emails
    GP> saying "***** Broken: Foo no such file" instead of showing the
    GP> diff of the file named 'Foo goes to the bar' (ie: a filename
    GP> with evil spaces in it).  With this it works with spaces.

Greg,

Thanks for the new syncmail script.  Actually syncmail is used by the
Mailman project, the Python project, (and momentarily, the mimelib
project).  It's probably also still used by the Jython project.

So there are versions in each of those project's CVSROOTs, as well as
a version in the Python snippets section of the SF Python Foundary.
Between all those, I've found at least 4 different revisions of
syncmail!  I think the latest one is version 3.16 that Fred Drake
hacked last.

I'll try to take some time to synchronize all these versions, and
upload the merge to the Python snippets (and Mailman and mimelib
projects).

Again, thanks,
-Barry