[Mailman-Developers] MM2.1 DemoList

Dan Mick Dan Mick <dmick@utopia.West.Sun.COM>
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

> At 12:50 AM 8/3/01 -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> >    MY> The abbreviation for kilobyte is kB (1000 or 1024) or KB
> >    MY> (1024).  Perhaps it should be spelled out to avoid confusion.
>
> Actually KB isn't an official standard for multiples of 1024.  Computer
> people are just supposed to know when a K means 1000, and when
> it means 1024.  That's why Nist invented Kebi.

You mean "NIST".  ;)

>  A Kebibyte, or KeB is
> based on 1024 (As are Mebibytes, and Gebibytes.)  Not, mind you, that
> you'll ever catch me pronouncing them outloud.

Not that you'll ever catch me using them, either.  The only people
who care are disk drive manufacturers, who lie like rugs on a
continuing basis.  Everyone else knows what a kilobyte or a megabyte
really is, despite the otherwise-annoying imprecision, and has
been using it for more than 30 years, so NIST can go pound sand,
IMO.