[Mailman-Developers] suggestion for sending monthly reminders

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:08:10 -0700

So, I have the  problem that I obviously get a bunch  of bounces every month
when the mailing list membership Emails leave.

The envelope sender is test-admin@lists.sf.net while the header sender is
mailman-owner@lists.sf.net.

Of course, we get a bunch of  bounces at the header sender address from MTAs
and  stupid autoresponders  that don't  respect basic  mail protocols  (i.e.
automated bounces always go to the envelope sender)

Some people  have however  written back saying  that their  autoresponder is
safe, and that  it's ok to bounce back  to the header sender as  long as the
original receipient was listed in To: or Cc:
I happen to disagree with that, but unfortunately I've never found an RFC to
support my side of the argument.
In the meantime, I've written this:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/autoresponders.txt

I am  currently unsubscribing on  sight any person  who bounces back  to the
header sender because I do not want to  see loops on my lists, but I thought
that it might be  a bit more civil if I sent the  membership reminder with a
To: field of  <mailmanlistsubscriber@lists.sf.net> so  that if  anyone still
bounces a  mail like  this, they  can really  be removed,  and even  in some
automated way.

I had  a quick  look at  the mailman code,  and apparently  mailpasswd calls
other functions so I didn't find a quick way to hack that.

1) Do people agree that optionally not listing the receipient of the
   reminder in monthly password reminders could be a good thing?

2) I'd also add the receipient  in the subject line (i.e. "Password reminder
   for foobar@provider.tld"  as many broken autoresponders  don't bounce the
   body and bounce from another address so you have no clue where the bounce
   came from (they usually are nice  enough to leave the subject line mostly
   intact, so that's sometimes the only way to see who is bouncing)

3) Is there a quick way to hack that in the mm source?

Thanks,
Marc