[Mailman-Developers] sendmail

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:26:54 -0700

On 8/3/01 6:46 PM, "Ron Jarrell" <jarrell@vt.edu> wrote:

> Ok, if anyone else running sendmail would like to test this a bit,
> I'd appreciate it.  You need to be running at least 8.11 I believe.
> (And if you're running 8.11, you ought to be at 8.11.4)

Okay, I've had a chance to test this, and tweak it a bit. Sorry for the
delay in responding -- I moved ISPs this last week, and the dust is just
settling.

I did this a little differently, since I know that tweaking sendmail.cf
files gives many people hives, and so people aren't likely to do it. It's
also unneccesary.

You can do this without modifying your sendmail files at all. Instead, in
your startup script, add:

        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=defer \
                -ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=NNNN,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1

Where NNNN is some port number not otherwise used (you can test if
something's in use by doing "telnet localhost NNNN" -- if it's refused,
there's no daemon listening)

This sets up a sendmail process listening to the alternate port, in DEFER
mode, but set to talk only to the localhost interface, so it's not
accessible by anyoneother than your local machine: no open relay problems.

To make mailman access that port, add this to your mm_cfg.py:

# define alternate SMTP port
SMTPPORT = 1313

I've been running this fine for about a week, and I'm quite comfortable with
it. It works with sendmail 8.10 and later and doesn't require a sendmail god
to implement. Ready for the FAQ, I'd say.

Chuq

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

Love is the process of my leading you gently back to yourself.
            - Saint Exupery