[Mailman-Developers] Re: Starting mailmanctl

Ousmane Wilane wilane@yahoo.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:04:50 +0000

Hi,
IMHO, we'd better let `chkconfig' manage /etc/rc.d dir hier
for few reasons:

1- The various symlinks in /etc/rc.d are managed by `chkconfig' on
   modern rpm based system, IRIX, etc.
2- The informations needed by chkconfig are commented line on top
   of the init file like:
       # mailmanctl: 2345 98 12
   thus, other systems can safely use the same init file.
3- We just have to rename the filez (letting the cabal happy 8) and
   add few commented line on the top.
4- Make rpm, deb packaging easy.
5- I think that Mailman endeavors to be compatible with standards
   (/get/ thingy hehe 8).

On my RH6.2-ish I have:
<screen>
[dummy@nowhere]$ rpm -qi chkconfig

Chkconfig is a basic system utility.  It updates and queries runlevel
information for system services.  Chkconfig manipulates the numerous
symbolic links in /etc/rc.d, to relieve system administrators of some
of the drudgery of manually editing the symbolic links.
</screen>

>From man page:
<screen>
chkconfig provides a simple command-line  tool  for  main-
taining  the  /etc/rc.d  directory  hierarchy by relieving
system administrators of the task of directly manipulating
the numerous symbolic links in those directories."
</screen>

<epigraph>
If all those moronic things make you cringe, plz forget about them :)
</epigraph>

If that's the way to go, we can add to the doc sth like:
If you use sysvinit/chkconfig, copy the mailmanctl init file to
/etc/init.d/ (FHS thingy I think) and run:
 $ chkconfig --add mailmanctl
 $ chkconfig mailmanctl on

My 5 FCFA!
Cheers.