[Mailman-Developers] Handling Bouncebacks

James Leone james_leone@yahoo.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'm interested in understanding how Mailman handles
bounces and seeing if my previous MLM experience will
allow me to make additions.

I'm fresh to Python, but am familiar with Perl as well
as Java and feel compfortable looking at the code, but
need some reinforcement at the higher level of
architecture.

These questions should be easy.
The email blast goes out and the bads ones come back
to a specified address.  Does Mailman run as a daemon
or are bouncebacks handles by piping through the
aliases file?

Basically, where is the entry point for disecting the
message and determining whether is looks like a
bounced email or the user's mailbox is just full.

I see that there is a Bouncer class, and an example
api, but the comments are rather sparse.