[Mailman-Developers] Handling Bouncebacks

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:18:35 -0400

    >> The extensible bounce detection subsystem is implemented as
    >> modules in Mailman/Bouncers, with
    >> Mailman/Bouncers/BouncerAPI.py as the main entry point.
    >> Specifically, the function BouncerAPI.ScanMessages() is handed
    >> the message and the MailList instance.  It returns 1 if a
    >> bounce was detected and registered, and 0 if not.

    CG> Is it still this broken in 2.1? I thought you were going to
    CG> add an "I parsed the bounce, and it was non-fatal, so please
    CG> ignore it" return code.  Right now, I either get swamped with
    CG> non-fatals to -admin, or I unsub users for transient
    CG> errors. Blech.

Okay, I just did.  A bouncer module can return Mailman.BouncerAPI.Stop
to stop the bounce detector's pipeline, without doing a
RegisterBounce().  This effectively supports non-fatal bounce
detection with discarding.

However, none of the bounce detector modules currently distinguish
between temporary and permanent failures.  Contributions are
welcome. :)

-Barry