[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: handle_opts.py

donal.hunt2@mail.dcu.ie donal.hunt2@mail.dcu.ie
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:15:01 +0100

Marc,

It's enough to just edit the *.py files afaik.  When the file is next used
by Mailman it will be recompiled into its *.pyc version.  The files in ~mailman/cgi-bin
are just wrappers for the *.pyc files in ~mailman/Mailman/Cgi

Confusing at first, but very nice for maintenance and coding in new features.
:)
Thanks again for the pointers Barry...

Donal

Message: 12
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:55:16 +0200
From: Marc Logemann <mlogemann@morelogs.de>
To: mailman-developers@python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: handle_opts.py

> You shouldn't need to recompile the binary, which is just a small C
> wrapper that, through a little bit of -Dmacro magic gets compiled to
> run Mailman/Cgi/handle_opts.py.  Thus you could just do a make install
> in Mailman/Cgi, although the .pyc files won't get compiled until you
> actually hit the page (could mess with permissions a bit).

i recently looked over the "subscribe.py" because of the html outputs
(allready discussed that), and i had some problems to understand the
meaning of the binary files.

Up until now, i thought the function were in the binary, but later
(of course after struggling with make install) i realized that
its enough to edit the subscribe.py in order to have the changes.

two basic questions:

1. the binary is only a wrapper w/o any functionality, so its basically
only a redirector for the .pyc files? And i assume you use them for some
kind of security reasons?

2. Does this mean that normally you dont have to struggle with the binary
files? Or are there frequent needs to compile them after changes?

Thx for info, i am quite new to python (programmed java and php the last
t=
wo years)
and this compile in mailman/python thing was a miracle to me...I hope i
ca=
n contribute
to mailman, its a nice piece of software.

morelogs  |  Marc Logemann,  chief evangelist
Rellinghauser Str. 332 =B7 D-45136 Essen =B7 Germany
T: +49 201 84 188-177 =B7 F: +49 201 84 188-199
mlogemann@morelogs.de =B7 http://www.morelogs.de