[Mailman-Developers] Re: Fully Zope-based Mailman Version

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:16:14 -0500

[I've changed the CC's to zmailman and mailman-developers, leaving
zope-dev out of this for now.  -BAW]

There's been a lot of traffic about this over the weekend, so my
first, way cool Stephan!  Thanks for putting together this list and
doing the prototyping.

Second, for now, let's talk about Mailman 2.1 and beyond.  What would
be neat is if a Mailman3 played nicely with a Zope3.  Given where each
project is headed, I think that's entirely doable.

    SR> I just had a look into Mailman again. The API seems to be very
    SR> clear, even though I could not find any UML diagrams
    SR> anywhere.

Nope, there are no UML diagrams, or any internals documentation except
for the source.  And even that has gone through a lot of changes for
MM2.1, hopefully to make things cleaner, and to provide interfaces in
many cases (although not everywhere).

    SR> 1. Convert the HTML screens to Zope DTML and connect the
    SR> functionality to Mailman.  2. Move storage of list and user
    SR> info to the ZODB 3. Move archives to the ZODB.  4. Create a
    SR> nice installer that can bind the latest Mailman release with
    SR> Zope.

All but the last have long been goals of mine.  Not to /require/ Zope
for Mailman, but to enable an easy integration of them.  I think MM2.1
should make things easier, because of the membership API and other
APIs.

More to follow...

-Barry