[Mailman-Developers] COMPLETELY Virtual mailing lists....

Scott Brown scott-brown@home.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:21:24 -0500

>     AMK>     I have three domains sitting on one machine and mailman
>     AMK> installed for each one (meaning, three copies of mailman).
>     AMK> Each vhost has it's own web address, and crontask.  And I can
>     AMK> have the same list name under all three vhosts and it works.
>
> That's the commonly accepted practice for "full-virtual" operation.  I
> don't plan on improving this situation until I get a Real Database
> under Mailman.

Isnt that kinda wasteful of system resources?  (I'm from a mainframe
background back in the days where 1meg of memory was a huge untapped
resource)

I mean - three copies of sendmail - each consuming 'x' bytes of main memory
+ swapped isnt very much - but if I've got 200+ domains on a server (I
dont - but I hope to one day ;-) then thats 200x the minimum memory
footprint that I want to give up to a routine that *could* be instantiated
just once.

Anyways - if that's "full-virtual" - then how about a
"little-bit-better-virtualization-than-currently-exists-without-breaking-the
-system-and-without-going-bald-virtualization" ;-)

Does the potential of what I mentioned - having the main data repositories
for a list all prefixed inside of mailman by  "foo.com/" exist??? Is the
underlaying structure of mailman laid out to minimize these changes if I
went ahead and started to patch them myself?

Or am I dreaming of a utopia that can not exist?