[Mailman-Developers] Mailman + PostgreSQL

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:51:49 +0100

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:32:44AM -0500, Chris Ryan wrote:
> 	I've been using Mailman on our web site for open source development of
> "serious business software." http://www.greatbridge.org/. We are
> interested in seeing Mailman have a PostgreSQL database back end (and
> further in the future PHP front end web tools.)  I have been given
> permission to start working on this as soon as I have completed my
> current project (should be done this week).
> 	I've started to familiarize myself with the general flow of Mailman. I
> have not had a chance to get into the current data handling classes but,
> correct me if i'm wrong, I believe modifying the code to use a database
> should be fairly contained. In the process of doing this I want to do
> everything in a such a manner that is best for contributing back to the
> Mailman project.

I think it would be great if you could start this up... but please consider creating
the database interface in such a way that it should be easy replace it with
other database engines (LDAP, mysql and anything else available in Python).
If you check out the archives, this has been discussed before but as far as I
know we didn't see any real results yet...
Btw, if you look at the Mailman designnotes you can see that the centralizeddatabase
has been planned for 3.0 ... maybe it's a good moment to start discussing it anyway.

Ricardo.