[Mailman-Developers] Bug/Request for change

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:11:30 -0800

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:17:10 -0700
Matthew Seidl <seidl@vex.cs.colorado.edu> wrote:

> Over the weekend one of the uesers on one of my lists had both
> their DNS servers go down.  This means that any attempt to deliver
> mail to them had a 4 minute DNS failure timeout.

> This went fine, till about 5 messages for them accumulated in the
> qfiles directory.  Then each qrunner that started up would try
> those 5 messages first, fail, and exceed its 15 minutes of
> runtime.  This cycle would repeat forever.

> It seems to me that qrunner should at least try messages in a most
> recent first order, instead of oldest first.  But that might still
> lead to starvation of some messages in the queue.

You are attempting to solve problems with an incoprrectly configured
MTA by changing Mailman.  REconfigure your MTA to not do DNS
verifications on messages received from your list server (likely
localhost).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu