[Mailman-Developers] New Feature Request: A Half-Moderator

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:15:57 -0800

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:32:58 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 9:50 AM -0700 1/2/01, Dave Klingler wrote:
>> This is a neat thread, because at this point (a big pile of
>> queues) the work needed to throw the whole thing into a database
>> is trivial.  Chuq, Apple's EOF would let you build a Mailman
>> analog in under an hour, btw!  Faster and easier to maintain!

> I was kinda thinking the same thing -- you start looking in terms
> of messages and semaphores instead of a real queue manager. And
> instead of moving messages among queues, you simply pass a token
> around from place to place until mailman is done with it...

Percisely.  However we need to maintain the abstraction of Mailman
from its underlieing queue implementation, be it really implemented
by something like MQS, just index twiddles in an SQL DB, or
movelments of files among specially named/located directories.  If
we keep the queue model and just provide plugins for the (few) queue
manipulation points -- which really just sumes to "move message X
from queueA to queueB -- then we pretty well get the rest for free.

> Doing this in a decent database becomes really interesting (in a
> fun way, not in a grind your teeth way)

True.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu