[Mailman-Developers] Debian packaging information

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 01:19:01 -0500

    MT> Does it need to be?  Probably not, the Debian packaging system
    MT> copes with upstream versions of programs.

    MT> Does it help?  Yes, one canonical source for the packaging
    MT> information and is more likely to track the latest version.  A
    MT> example would be a lot of the GNOME programs that have the
    MT> packaging files in their CVS trees.

    MT> The reason I asked is that I was wanting to install the latest
    MT> CVS version of mailman on my system when I was hacking on it
    MT> the other day and have my machine end up suffering a bad case
    MT> of /usr/local-itis.

I've got no objections to including the appropriate packaging
information, say in the misc/ directory.  I won't maintain it, but if
it's contributed and properly FSF assigned, I'll include it in the
source distro (same for RPM or any other useful package manager config
files).

-Barry