[Mailman-Developers] Quoting problem in 2.0

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:27:54 -0500

    GM> Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

    >>  You're right it is a simple fix, see below.

    GM> While you're at it... The following is also a simple fix,
    GM> which eliminates at least some of the "inexplicable" failures
    GM> to create HTML archives:

This doesn't seem right.  From the referenced archive message, the
change is supposed to add a hit for negative timezones, but that's
/not/ what those last three \d's are trying to match.  They're trying
to match a four-digit year.  It makes no sense to add an optional sign
to the year matching field.

If we wanted to be really correct about this, _isrealfromline() always
return true because the pre-test already does the Right Thing in
matching exactly line.startswith('From ') -- see [1].  I'd make that
change, but it worries me because some earlier versions of Mailman did
not properly >-mangle embedded From_ lines, so it /could/ break
existing archives even worse.  I'm not comfortable with this as a
patch for 2.0.1.

-Barry

[1] http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/content-length.html