[Mailman-Developers] Pipermail, large archives and performance

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:56:02 -0500

    MM> Ideally, it'd be nice if we could update the HTML archive off
    MM> line, once an hour or so, but apparently that's not possible
    MM> (I didn't get any answer back to my enquiring Email)

2.1 should be much better here.  First, the archiver will run out of a
separate queue, and thus in a separate process.  Second, you will
probably be able to tune how frequently each separate qrunner process
will run so you could make the archiver run once an hour if you want
(this may be crude at first).

The one trick that I haven't thought about yet is the list locking
issues.  I'm pretty sure that the archiver can do most of its work
without locking the list, but I have to double check on that.  If the
archiver holds the list lock for a long time, it'll block any
processing of new messages to the list, although it won't block the
uploading of processed messages to the smtpd or nttpd -- those
qrunners never acquire the list lock.

experimental-ly y'rs,
-Barry