[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Inbound MessageID tracking

Scott Brown scott-brown@home.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 01:10:53 -0500

Ok - I dont know how widely useful this might be - but it would have saved
my bacon today.

I had a list get flooded by an upstream mail server that was stuck on
sending a message to me.  Every message that came in had the same messageID
on it - and mailman dutifully kept pushing them out.... 200+ of them before
I disabled the mailman list, and finally got the other server admin to clean
up his machine.

Would it be possible in the next release to get some sort of tracking on
processed messages - tracking by incoming messageID - such that this sort of
problem wouldnt be sent out to list subscribers?  A message to the
mailman-owner alias indicating the problem when it gets found should be
sufficient to alert the admin to look into things.