[Mailman-Developers] Re: GET vs POST (was Re: subscription confirmations)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:45:15 -0700

On 7/18/01 8:36 AM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure which stupidity you're talking about.  Are you
>> concerned that people will launch the link from the email but then
>> not push the "confirm" (or "cancel") button?
>
> I personally wasn't concerned with that, but Chuq seems to be (unless
> I've misread him) and he as a *much* larger stable of experience on the
> topic.

In some cases, it's not as big an issue, but with my big server (the one
that does the marketing stuff), there's a strong charter to make sure
everyone get on the list (but nobody who doesn't want to be there). Very big
pressure to remove any hoop that needs to be jumped through or bar that
needs to be jumped over, unless it absolutely has to be there.

So understanding the needs of the non-geek, and making things as simple as
possible, are big issues with me. It doesn't hurt that I have an 80 year old
mom that loves her iMac, loves her e-mail, and is still fascinated AND
intimidated by this stuff to keep me honest. She's not stupid -- she's just
not a geek. And working with her causes me to ALWAYS try to understand how
people like her see this stuff, because how she sees it is very different
than how I see it.

If you don't have someone like that around to keep you honest, adopt one.
Seriously.

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

95% of being a net.god is sounding persuasive
and convincing people you know what you're talking about, even when you're
making it up as you go along. (chuq von rospach, 1992)