[Mailman-Developers] why no user disable of the monthly reminder?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:46:13 -0700

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 07:22:36 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Oh, and one more thing (thanks for reminding me). the password
> reminders aren't really hooked into the bounce-processed setup,
> since they get sent back to a list admin address, and not
> necessarily one the user is actually subscribed to. We're losing a
> major opportunity to clean up the mail lists here, especially when
> it comes to non-standard mailers and forwarded addresses. These
> really ought to be sent from a special address with a special
> envelope, so returns can be processed for site-wide removal (IMHO,
> if the password reminder bounces for any reason, that qualifies as
> removal. I'm going to have to pull the data out of bounce files
> monday and manually hack something up...

Agreed, and I'll add that the password reminders really need to be
VERPed.  Of course this will have to be optional for those MTAs
which are not VERP happy, but the password reminders are just too
cherry an opportunity to overlook for removing addresses which you
*CAN'T* deduce from bounce message processing (mail forwards etc).

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows