[Mailman-Developers] why no user disable of the monthly reminder?

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 11:06:29 -0700

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 10:27:10 -0400
Jay R Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get Mailman to behave itself as a *broadcast* list
> manager (rather than for discussion), and I need to throttle the
> *actual mail* that way (x thousand per day).

> Where might be the best place to put something like that?

While it gets fiddly, its not too difiicult to do this at the MTA
level with a sufficiently configurable MTA (ie Exim).  Essentially,
just have an Exim filter that rewrites all broacast mail actually
being addressed to a local user, spool it off locally, and then have
a cronjob which sucks N thousand out per day from the top of the
mbox and re-slaps them into the MTA with a custom header added
(which causes them to skip the prior filter).

You could also use a double ganged MTA approach (second MTA running
on a high port -- I used to tdo this with SMail/UUCP) but without
thinking about it ore than I want to now, I'm not sure that this
would be easier.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows