[Mailman-Developers] Mailman queue design problem?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:22:04 -0700

On Thursday, June 21, 2001, at 10:59 PM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> It's fairly easy to add more queues, although I'm not sure what else
> would be useful.

Here's one -- multiple outqueuess to the MTA. Why?

Take a really large mailman system, one that's outgrown a single
machine. Add a dedicated delivery machine. Now, outgrow that. So add a
second. Right now, you'd have to do that with some DNS round-robin
magic, or hacking the code. Instead, allow defining 1-N outgoing queues
to different MTAs, and have mailman place every outgoing message in one
of them either in sequence or random (or make it configurable. Maybe
nthe best way to do this is to do it randomly, but assign a percentage
to each queue, so you could weight towards faster/bigger machines and
away from smaller/slower ones.

Then, each one has a qrunner tihng delivering into that SMTP port. And
for redundancy, if the server it's supposed to send to is down, that
qrunner could requeue to the other outgoing queue(s), so a down machine
wouldn't affect you.

Run it one weird step further out, and you could define outgoing queues
that are NEVER used, unless the main SMTP queue is down. Sort of like a
fallback MX.

All of this is possible outside of mailman -- but it seems like it ought
to be fairly easy to build into mailman, so you don't have to fall into
DNS magic or proxies or any of the stuff we talked about last week...

> 3) Different qrunners can be assigned different priorities (i.e. you
>    can run your incoming posts and MTA-bound queues more often then
>    your archiver, nntpd, or command processing queues).

Can you define bounce processing to time the server is otherwise idle?

[<chuqui@plaidworks.com> = <me@chuqui.com> = <chuq@apple.com>]

Always look away from the obvious answers, because if you don't find
a better one, you can always go back to them on short notice.