[Mailman-Developers] Splitting -owner and -admin handling

claw@kanga.nu claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:41:32 -0700

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:59:46 -0400
Barry A Warsaw <barry@digicool.com> wrote:

> Mail destined for the -owner and -admin addresses for a list are
> handled differently because -admin mail flows through the bounce
> detector, and only if that fails is it forwarded on to the list
> owners.  Mail for -owner goes directly to the list owners.

Why not split those functions?

> In MM2.1, I don't parse the message in mailowner.  This has the
> advantage of reducing the amount of time the MTA program has to
> consume, which I think is a good thing.  The problem is that the
> determination of -owner vs. -admin doesn't happen until the
> qrunner processes the message.  If I want to split bounce
> processing into a separate queue, the best place to do this is as
> early as possible, i.e. in the MTA program script.

> There are two options:

And a third:

  3) Remove bounce processing from -admin and move it to its own
  -bounce address.

I prefer this approach.  The insertion of a management point (via
the new address) adds all sorts of new capabilities (eg process
deferment, dedicated bounce processor nodes, customised bounce
processing (eg integration with other external systems such as CRM
or billing), etc etc.  The pain is that extant installations would
have to add the new alias/MTA config as part of their upgrade.

That's an acceptable upgrade cost.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows