[Mailman-Developers] qrunner -- problem with huge mail messages

Dirko van Schalkwyk dvschalk@ing.sun.ac.za
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:35:26 +0200

Hi

It is 6:02 AM Sat. and I'm fairly fed-up.

I have the following situation :

Mailman 2.0.5
Python 2.0
MTA : postfix

I set Mailman up, created a test list and played with it for a while.
Then I send it a big "whopper" 5MB e-mail. I watched the logs and saw
postfix running the wrapper. The cron started qrunner and all hell broke
lose (over dramatizing a bit). It started running at 100% CPU, where it
stayed until I killed it. The message was queued in $prefix/qfiles, it
and its little .db file. I had to remove those as well as the locks in
$prefix/locks before I could successfully use the list again.

So I thought, "well maybe the pipermail thingy can't handle the huge
mime thingies I'm sending it". So I send a smaller attachment <150kb.
Things went fine (except for the ugly html page:) ) Send it a 1MB
attachment. qrunner started spinning it's wheels again. Had to seek and
destroy again.

So I replaced pipermail with MHonArc (With PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER ,
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER , PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in mm_cfg.py and the
appropriate thingies in httpd.conf). Small messages worked fine. Big
whoppers = no joy i.e. still the same with big messages. So at least it
is not the archiving bit that messes up.

So I upgraded my Python ;) Ermm, to version 2.0. Still the same.

Has anyone had the same problem? Can anyone confirm this as a bug by
sending a 2MB file to a 2.0.5 testlist?

How do I do a trace in Python? (i.e. it is as familiar to me as the
bacteria in my stomach (I runs on my machine and there endeth the
relationship))

Any pointers? Anything? I need to get this list running before monday
(yes this is for a business). Please!!!??

Sorry if this e-mail was not formal enough, the 48 hours strait is
getting to me.

Greets

Dirko

Lab E352