[Mailman-Developers] Here's a little issue with the news gatewaying: If the n

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:29:26 -0500

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 10:53:48AM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> >     JRA> Well, the code base is pretty clean looking, at
> >     JRA> least the parts I've gotten into, even if my understanding of
> >     JRA> python is not.
>
> Note that Python is the easiest langauge in the world. Did you read the
> tutorial yet ? If you're already familiar with programming in some other
> language, it's easy to get into, and will teach you everything about the
> language itself. Most of the rest you'll want to learn eventually is library
> docs, but you can browse those on an as-needed basis.

Well, you can code python like C, or you can code it like python, just
like perl 5.  If it's coded like C, which much of this package is, I
can follow it.

> >     JRA> Any internals doco written yet?  Is their a second tier of
> >     JRA> hackers following the list?
> > Thomas? :)
> I guess I count as a second tier :) I haven't written any documentation yet,
> because most of the code is well commented, or easy to follow. (But then
> again, Barry and I share some common ground there, both being python
> developers. I might just be used to his (possibly adopted) code style :)
> If I had time, I could probably write up some documentation... but if I had
> time, I could fix a ton of bugs and misfeatures, too ;-P

Noted.  Well, I'll be digging anyway; I'll drop breadcrumbs.

> >     JRA> And will Python 2 finally get around to showing not only the
> >     JRA> call but the *values* in tracebacks?  :-)
>
> > Oh man, you should have seen Ka-Ping Yee's cgi driver thingie.
>
> You can see Dr. Mad Ping's cgitb.py module in action at
> http://www.lfw.org/python. There's been talk (at a lunchtable at IPC9, so it
> is very likely to happen ;) about adding a plaintext version to the std.
> Python library for use with normal scripts. I'm definately for it :)

Cool.

That Would Be Good.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink