[Mailman-Developers] Here's a little issue with the news gatewaying: If the n

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:41:48 -0500

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:29:08AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> [...]

Have I mentioned that I hate that quoting style?  :-)

>     JRA> Well, no, but you can swim in the Object Orientation, or you
>     JRA> can tiptoe through it, and the code I've looked at doesn't
>     JRA> look to horribly deep to me.
>
> Python's very cool that way.  It makes OOP about as simple as it can
> possibly be.  In fact, I think Python would make a wonderful first or
> OOP teaching language.  Jeez, at least much better than C++ or Java.

Yeah, well, that dictionary stuff kinda lost me.  I guess I'll get
it, from looking at working code...

>     JRA> Except make_whatever in Utils; how do you get a hard newline
>     JRA> in that damned routine?
>
> You mean Utils.maketext()?  You could set raw=1 which says not to pass
> the text to wrap(), and then your template would have to be properly
> wrapped already (if it's a plaintext file), or you'd include <p>'s and
>
> The rules for wrap() are pretty simple.  Paragraphs are always filled
> unless the line begins with whitespace.  Blank lines separate
> paragraphs.  That's it.
>
> But I'll admit that wrap() is a bear of an algorithm, and I fear, too
> fragile to muck with.  Still it does the job.  Usable, human-friendly
> "structured" plaintext is a /hard/ problem, as anybody who's played
> with Wiki's StructuredText stuff will attest too.

Ah.  Ok.  Yeah, I ended up indenting one space the stuff I didn't
want wrapped.

>     JRA> The template stuff is one of the weak spots in system
>     JRA> operator documentation... and the templates could us a touch
>     JRA> of work, too -- no offence to whomever's writing that is...
>
> I completely agree.

Noted.  It's not an easy problem, as I found out when I tried
rewriting some of them.  More When I Know More.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink