[Mailman-Developers] Wildly OT - qmail and mangling (was: mailman and the web)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:33:54 -0500

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 05:37:21PM -0800, Jerry Asher wrote:
> Qmail has wonderful behavior that supports my mangling of the reply-to
> address.  You can send a message to me at jerry@hollyjerry.org, or
> jerry-junk@hollyjerry.org, or jerry-webvan@ or you can put anything after
> the hyphen.  It will get to me all the same, OR I can set up qmail in a
> procmail like fashion to pass the message to a script which can filter the
> messages based on the data after the hyphen.  So one way to encode the bbs
> thread data is to set the reply to "bboard-thread-2FC24@mybboard.com".

Typical djb mistake.  There's been a defined protocol for that that
well predates qmail (unless I'm much mistaken); the defined character
is a "+".  No, it's not a formal standard... but it's apparently a
widely defined informal standard.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink