[Mailman-Developers] Wildly OT - qmail and mangling (was: mailman and the web)

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:49:34 -0500

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:01:14PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >> While he reinvented common practice (a definite DJB-ism) he
> >> hardly violated any standard -- +-addressing is still mostly
> >> larval.
>
> > Really?  I've seen it for *years*.
>
> Similarly.  Its penetration in terms of actual use has been damned
> small to near non-existant up until about 15 months ago however.
> Thus, on account of lacking critical mass, I account it larval.

Huh.  I guess I hang out on geekier mailing lists than the average
bear...

> >> Every MTA I'm aware of that supports +-addressing mandates having
> >> the extension character set as part of the feature configuration.
>
> > Do that again?  I fell off.
>
> 1) There are MTAs which either directly or through patch support
> what I'll loosely call +-addressing.
>
> 2) For each of those MTAs configuring +-addressing requires that you
> explicitly define the character to be used in segmenting the
> address.
>
> 3) None of these MTAs per se has a default +-addressing character
> from which the config may specify a deviation.  Instead, the
> +-addressing character must be explicitly stated as part of the
> feature enebling.

Ah.  I *had* thought it was standard in sendmail; I'll have to go doube
check that.

> > Oh.  Hey, Carnage. I wouldn't begin to know.  I've seen Tim once
> > in the last 6 years, at a SLUG meeting.  He saw me, and hasn't
> > been going to those meetings since.
>
> I heard rumours for a while (semi-regularly exchange mail with
> Wilson and a couple old messages with Beach).  I ran into Tim via
> email a few years back ('98?) who AIR wrote something quite
> ambiguous and then didn't reply further.  I haven't been back to FL
> since 97 -- am a little curious.

Nope; don't regularly see any of that crowd anymore...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink