[Mailman-Developers] Re: Big problems with stale lockfiles on large list...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 04:08:52 -0400

>>>>> "GT" == Graham TerMarsch <mailman@howlingfrog.com> writes:

    GT> Barry, wanted to thank you muchly for the lengthy description
    GT> of the problem and the patch that you provided.  I figured
    GT> that this was probably what was happening, after having gone
    GT> through the process of running the CGIs repeatedly myself
    GT> here.

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.  I've committed those
changes to CVS so they'll be part of 2.1.

    GT> As for the semantics of "save the list only if everything was
    GT> successful", I too believe that those are livable (and likely
    GT> proper) semantics to live with.

I think it's the only sane thing to do.

    GT> Will let you know again if we continue to have this problem,
    GT> but from what I've seen so far this appears to have fixed the
    GT> major fire that I've had.  Now all I've got to figure out is
    GT> how to try to speed up the admin CGIs so that they don't take
    GT> two or three minutes to load when dealing with large lists...

Check to see if it's disk access.  Remember you've got to load the
entire marshaled dict into memory for each web hit, and that's gotta
be expensive.  Things will get much better for 2.1 from the email side
because there'll be some caching involved (there's a long running
qrunner process now), but you'll still pay the penalty on the web
side.  Really fixing that will be a job for Mailman 3.0.