[Mailman-Developers] Re: Creation/deletion of lists through-the-web

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:17:04 +0200

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:10:49PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> On 2001.05.09, in <20010509101321.61492@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>,
> 	"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
> > > that you typically have to do some manual and difficult crud like edit
> > > an /etc/aliases file and run `newaliases' (as root!).  I've figured a
> > > way around this with Postfix, and of course Exim can be configured to
> > > automatically recognize new mailing lists, so I figured it was time to
> > > do it.  I'm hoping that Sendmail, Qmail, and other MTA users amongst
> > > yourselves will contribute the code to glue this together for other
> > > mailers.
> >
> > IMHO, the proper solution for sendmail is for the admin to put an
> > :include: in /etc/aliases pointing to /home/mailman/data/aliases, and
> > rebuild that from scratch against the current list of lists every time
> > that list changes.
>
> I've written a mailer (in the sendmail sense) for Mailman.  You can
> define a mailertable entry as:
> 	server.name.mil		mailman:server.name.mil

> And add the mailer to sendmail.cf:
> 	MMailman,	P=/etc/mail/mm-handler, F=rDFMhlqSu, U=mailman:other,
> 			S=EnvFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
> 			A=mm-handler $h $u

> ...and it's all automagical.  No more aliases, no more recompiling map
> datbases.

> You can find it in the archives, or I can mail you the most recent
> working version.

I think that would be *perfect*. Mailers is exactly one of Sendmail's
fortes, and very useful if you know how to use them (we do, for various uhm,
'creative systems' :) I'd very much like to test this sometime (but not
soon, unfortunately my other work stuff is swamping me) on our list servers!

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>