[Mailman-Developers] threaded view on archive does not work

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:06:13 -0500

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:53:06PM -0500, Bob Puff@NLE wrote:
> There's another couple things in pipermail that I also wanted to bring up.
>
> #1. Having the link to "Download the raw archive" is IMHO a serious
> serurity leak. This link to the .mbox file allows the user to grab
> every email address that has posted to the list... even if you have
> Mailman "remove" them. I take this out of every install I do. How many
> people really want a .mbox style file anyways, with all the header
> junk?

That'd be those of us who use a Real Mail Program to handle mail and
want to use it to sift through archives, too.

> #2. Apparently messages like mine don't wrap properly, because
> Pipermail uses the <pre> </pre> to display it. Would not a better
> approach be to simply change the font to a fixed-width style? From
> what I read of the HTML spec, most all html tags within the <pre>s
> still get executed.

IIRC, I grabbed such an archive from some Mailman maintained list
somewhere, and was agahst to see that *everything* in it had been
HTMLized and PREized.  I wish I could remember where, so I could figure
out if it was merely horribly configured...

Cheers,
-- jra

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")