[Mailman-Developers] "stable" release / 2.1 release status

Ben Burnett benwa@ocentrix.com
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 14:54:28 -0700

At 11:55 AM 10/6/01 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>Reading the web pages:
>
>MM21/index.html:
>         Version (2.1a2, released on 11-Jul-2001) is the current stable
>         GNU release.
>
>download.html:
>         Version (2.0.6, released on Jul 25 2001) is the current GNU
>         release.
>

>Correct to name 2.1a2 a stable release? Somewhere on the lists Barry
>Warsaw didn't give a garanty for a smooth upgrade path between the
>alpha releases. Or is 2.1 on the horizon, so that it's more work to
>change the web page ;-)
>
>         Matthias

You're actually the second person to notice this and report it on this list.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-September/009557.html

Barry's plan was to fix the web page at list.org.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-September/009558.html

If I remember correctly he's also the release manager for the latest
version of Python, so I'm sure he's up to his eyeballs currently.  IMHO
this is a very good reason for not hitting this particular
item.  Therefore, I have included a patch below against index.ht (yes
that's a patch against the template file) for the list.org web-site.  The
patch should be self-explanatory.

------------<patch>---------------------------------------
*** index.ht    Sat Oct  6 14:18:42 2001
--- index.ht.new        Sat Oct  6 14:48:04 2001
***************
*** 36,39 ****
--- 36,57 ----
   StudlyCaps).

+ <h3>Latest Stable Release</h3>
+
+ <p>The latest stable release of Mailman is the
+ <a href="http://www.list.org/download.html">2.0.6 version</a>.
+ This release has undergone considerable testing in production
+ environments.
+
+ offers tons of extra features is nearing completion so rapidly that
+ it's a good idea to check back often.  Please download the
+ current alpha <a href="http://www.list.org/MM21/download.html">
+ version 2.1a2</a> and help us test it.  Get news and post comments
+ on this version via the
+ <a href="http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-developers">
+ Mailman-Developers</a> discussion list. Please report any bugs in
+ the SourceForge <a href="http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=103">bug
+ tracker</a>.
+
   <h3>Acknowledgements</h3>

I haven't actually run it through ht2html so I apologize beforehand if it
breaks.  I would have provided patches for the index of the MM21 directory
but didn't have access to the templates.  Barry, I hope this isn't stepping
on your toes, and I hope it's useful.

Later,

- Ben