[Mailman-Developers] 2.1a2 and 2.0.6 on same box

Andy Heath a.k.heath@shu.ac.uk
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:15:23 +0100

No responses so try again with better subject categorisation -
must ask here because its about 2.1a2.  Someone else *must* be
doing this already, surely -

I'm wanting to get seriously into 2.1a2 and do some hacking
(small quantity of free labour here) - have only one box and
need to continue running existing lists on 2.0.6 - what are the
constraints on running multiple mailmans (mailmen ? mailwomen?)
concurrently on the same system ?

Thoughts:

1. Can I use same UID and GID , use $prefix to another
directory, merge the crontabs and tailor some URL path info
for apache so the right URL's invoke different mailman instances ?
I'm currently using my own hacked version
of Archiver.py with hypermail for archiving some lists
and pipermail with others on a per-list basis.

2.  Must I abandon 1. and use on separate id/group for each
(more painful to administer) ?

3. Are there other potential clash points than the ones
I have identified ?

4. Any resource problems with 2.1a2 that would upset the
concurrent running of 2.0.6 (such as memory hogging or crashing and
filling device space or similar) - I don't want to upset my list
communities running on 2.0.6.  I notice posts on here recently
about a daemon refusing to restart but don't know the background
to this.

-- andy