[Mailman-Developers] handling duplicate mails

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:41:04 -0400

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:33:44AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > What problem are you trying to tackle?
>
> People  who are  trying  to set  reply-to munging  because  they don't  want
> receipients to receive  two copies of the posts. While the  solution is bad,
> the initial need is real.
> (well, there  is also that part  about "reply to all"  being apparently much
> harder to use than "reply", but I tend to dismiss that)

Yes, but note that (as I mentioned earlier), the fact that you got a
copy from the list *carries a meaning* additional to its content: that
the rest of the list got to see it also.

If I was on a list, and got copies of messages to me that were *not*
also carboned to me, but did *not* get messages from the list which it
"noticed" *were* carboned to me as well, *I* would assume the list
wasn't reliable, and I suspect I'm not alone.

People who get duplicate copies because senders don't understand how to
deal with mailing lists, or who won't switch to a *mailer* that
understands how to deal with mailing lists, should have the pain of the
recipients we're trying to protect here transferred to *them*.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me