[Mailman-Developers] handling duplicate mails

Marc MERLIN marc_news@valinux.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:17:24 -0700

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:41:04AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:33:44AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > What problem are you trying to tackle?
> >
> > People  who are  trying  to set  reply-to munging  because  they don't  want
> > receipients to receive  two copies of the posts. While the  solution is bad,
> > the initial need is real.
> > (well, there  is also that part  about "reply to all"  being apparently much
> > harder to use than "reply", but I tend to dismiss that)
>
> Yes, but note that (as I mentioned earlier), the fact that you got a
> copy from the list *carries a meaning* additional to its content: that
> the rest of the list got to see it also.

Oh, don't take me wrong, I'm fully aware of that.
See:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6693&group_id=1
(second paragraph of "So what does this mean for the list users?"

> If I was on a list, and got copies of messages to me that were *not*
> also carboned to me, but did *not* get messages from the list which it
> "noticed" *were* carboned to me as well, *I* would assume the list
> wasn't reliable, and I suspect I'm not alone.

That was already answered, but again, the patch makes it a per user option.

> People who get duplicate copies because senders don't understand how to
> deal with mailing lists, or who won't switch to a *mailer* that
> understands how to deal with mailing lists, should have the pain of the
> recipients we're trying to protect here transferred to *them*.

Can I have you answer  the Sourceforge tickets^H^H^H^H^H^Hflames from people
who are telling  me that their life  absolutely ends if they  can't have the
reply-to munging on their list? :-&

Marc