[Mailman-Developers] Reply-To: handling

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:15:51 -0700

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:56:57 -0400
Jay R Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> If multiple headers are not supported, then I submit that we
> should assume that a multi address Reply-to may well be a bug in
> the spec

Nahh.  Its quite clear, and further, it also makes sense.

> other address headers may appear multiple times, may they not?

--<cut>--
   The following table indicates limits on the number of times each
   field may occur in a message header as well as any special
   limitations on the use of those fields.  An asterisk next to a
   value in the minimum or maximum column indicates that a special
   restriction appears in the Notes column.

Field           Min number      Max number      Notes
trace           0               unlimited       Block prepended - see
                                                3.6.7

resent-date     0*              unlimited*      One per block, required
                                                if other resent fields
                                                present - see 3.6.6

resent-from     0               unlimited*      One per block - see
                                                3.6.6

resent-sender   0*              unlimited*      One per block, MUST
                                                occur with multi-address
                                                resent-from - see 3.6.6

resent-to       0               unlimited*      One per block - see
                                                3.6.6

resent-cc       0               unlimited*      One per block - see
                                                3.6.6

resent-bcc      0               unlimited*      One per block - see
                                                3.6.6

resent-msg-id   0               unlimited*      One per block - see
                                                3.6.6

orig-date       1               1

from            1               1               See sender and 3.6.2

sender          0*              1               MUST occur with multi-
                                                address from - see 3.6.2

reply-to        0               1

to              0               1

cc              0               1

bcc             0               1

message-id      0*              1               SHOULD be present - see
                                                3.6.4

in-reply-to     0*              1               SHOULD occur in some
                                                replies - see 3.6.4

references      0*              1               SHOULD occur in some
                                                replies - see 3.6.4

subject         0               1

comments        0               unlimited

keywords        0               unlimited

optional-field  0               unlimited

   The exact interpretation of each field is described in subsequent
   sections.
--<cut>--

> I'd go read 2822, but I'm too damned tired<tm>.

See above.

BTW: Have you checked Mutt's behaviour yet?  Could/would someone
check Outlook's behaviour?

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?