[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] [RELEASED] Mailman 2.1 alpha 3

Dale Newfield Dale Newfield <Dale@Newfield.org>
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:11:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> I'm actually thinking of moving the membership data completely out of
> Mailman and having mailman act as a slave to an outside system.

> - think of an integrated community, where you want a single subscriber
> interface, but multiple systems, including (but not limited to) a mail list
> system.

I'm going to be building this very thing--we've got an incredibly detailed
system for orders/content management/etc, and what mailing lists the
individuals are subscribed to should be manageable from inside that
system.  Really what that means is that I want the functionality of
Mailman, but I want the database to be the mysql one that the other system
uses.

I won't be able to get started on this for another month or so, but
knowing that someone has thought about it gives me warm fuzzies.  Any
pitfalls I should be aware of?

---
Dale Newfield <Dale@Newfield.org>

"My country, right or wrong" is not a cogent argument.
It is one step away from "I was only following orders."