[Mailman-Developers] Reusing mailman login/pass or cookie ?

Adam Hupp hupp@upl.cs.wisc.edu
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:02:34 -0500

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:12:09AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     timduru> I've developped a few php scripts for the users of some
>     timduru> of my lists, what I need is to have only users
>     timduru> effectively subscribed and authenticated to the lists to
>     timduru> be able to use the scripts.

I did something similar to this except I was just checking for list
membership instead of authenticating the passwd.  I made a small withlist
module that returned depending on whether the address was subscribed, and
a suid mailman wrapper around withlist.  It's not the clean solution but
it works.

In case anyone is interested, this was done in order to have a web board
interface to mailman lists.  Mailman gates the lists to a local news
server (leafnode).  A heavily hacked set of php scripts called phnntp
interfaces to the news server.  It sends all posts back to the list
instead of through the news server (leafnode doesn't do moderated groups),
so moderation and other list features work.  The previously mentioned
withlist script makes sure that groups marked private will only be visible
to subscribers of the mailing list.

It's convoluted but works well so far.  Once I get around to it I would
like to rewrite it for Zope, basically as an nntp reader that can
authenticate users from Mailman.

-Adam