[Mailman-Developers] Using pre-existing passwords along with mailman passwords?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:54:17 -0400

    JS> I posted this to the users group, and they suggested I post it
    JS> here; I've looked into what might need to be done, and it
    JS> looks like it will be a lot easier for list members than for
    JS> list administrators; since list members have 'usernames'
    JS> (their e-mail address), but list administrators just have
    JS> their password?

Correct.

    JS> Is there a best place to apply such a patch?

Assuming Mailman 2.1, there are a couple of places you can hook in.
For users, it should be easy: implement your own version of the
MemberAdaptor.py interface (see OldStyleMemberships.py for the
currently only living example).  See also SecurityManager.py

List owners are harder because they are identified only by knowledge
of a password.  Yes this is bogus, and yes it will change, but not for
MM2.1.

-Barry