[Mailman-Developers] Mailman CVS sends out Japanese template mails in EUC-JP

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:07:18 +0900

    BG> However, when mail comes in to a list, we need to convert it
    BG> from the 7-bit ISO-2022-JP encoding format to EUC-JP before we
    BG> archive it.  Otherwise, the archive web pages will have the
    BG> static bits in EUC-JP, and the email contents in ISO-2022-JP!
    BG> This is a mess.

    BAW> I really want to keep the archiver separate from the list
    BAW> exploder, although I may be missing something which prevents
    BAW> this.

    BAW> So for messages traveling the poster->Mailman->list
    BAW> membership route, we don't need to convert encodings, right?

It's not just the archiver that needs to have the message in EUC-JP,
but also the admin pages; the messages will be unreadable to the
admin who's trying to approve messages or filter spam if half the
web page is in EUC-JP and the rest is ISO-2022-JP!

It's unfortunate, but we're just going to have to do an incoming
conversion to make the incoming emails match whatever encoding the
web pages use.

UTF-8 makes this even worse, of course, as more and more mail readers
start to use it, approving messages/filtering spam will become
impossible unless we convert it to whatever charset the admin web
pages happen to be in.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters I and G and the number 17.
"You forgot Uranus." "Goooooooooodnight everybody!"