[Mailman-Developers] SF bug report #223533

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:14:56 -0800

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:17:50PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> I'm in a mad quest to reduce the number of open Mailman bugs to under
> 50 so it fits on one page.  I'm nearly there.

I'll get someone to increase the page length to 100 bugs.
No, don't thank me, I'm just glad I could help :-)))

> I'd like to get some feedback on bug #223533:
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=223533&group_id=103&atid=100103
>
> It's fairly old <blush> but it's complaining that there is no way to
> tell the difference between a list posting and an administrative
> message via the List-* headers.  I think it's actually recommending to
> add another header(!) only to list postings.
(...)
> My interpretation of this paragraph says that Mailman is doing the
> right thing by adding all those headers to all outgoing messages.  The
> complaint is that you can't reliably set up something like a procmail
> filter to distinguish between admin messages and postings, but I think
> we're being standards compliant here and I'm inclined to close this
> bug report as Won't Fix.

Actually I've found this annoying too, to be honest.

I guess one way to remain really compliant would be to add, yes, yet another
header to admin messages, something like X-Mailman-Administrativa: Yes

Marc

PS: Should I continue to bug you about my two patches, one being the bugfix
for SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION ?