[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Editability of messages

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:07:57 -0700

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 06:04:03PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     MM> I'll probably also contribute a small script that watches the
>     MM> number of messages in the mailman queue, and sends a warning
>     MM> if there are more than X (meaning that you have some serious
>     MM> backlog, or some other problem)
>
> Which reminds me, how's your performance been with Exim4?  We're
> seeing a lot of weird stuff happen that wasn't happening with Exim3,
> specifically, we seem to exhaust our open file limit about every 3rd
> or 4th day.  It's so bad that Mailman will throw a traceback
> indicating it couldn't import a module (which is presumably because
> Python couldn't open the module file to read from).  I've seen this

I haven't yet switched any of my major sites to exim 4 because I had a
rather hacked up exim 3 (improved error messages and logs to deal with all
the crap and misconfigured servers out there), and this came in too late for
Philip to put it in exim 3, so I have to redo it for exim 4 and haven't had
the time to, yet.
See the two diffs here if you're curious:
ftp://ftp.vasoftware.com/pub/people/merlin/exim-3.31-woody-99.1/

Being  on the  exim  list (also  I  sometimes have  to scan  it  due to  the
traffic), I don't remember reading anything like this.
I did experience problems with exim eating all the filehandles on some linux
servers (exim 3), but  that was due to a bug with  the solar designer secure
linux kernel patch for linux 2.2.x
If you're not running that buggy linux kernel (which was in linux mandrake),
I don't know why you're having this problem.

This should probably be asked on the exim list (exim-users@exim.org)

Marc