[Mailman-Developers] MailMan-Traffic

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:01:33 -0700

On 4/25/02 10:23 AM, "Tanner Lovelace" <lovelace@wayfarer.org> wrote:

> Don't forget, however, that since the list machine must get
> at the data somehow, you now have one more opening through
> your main firewall that must be secured/monitored/etc...
> So, basically, it's a trade off.

I'll take one extra port over leaving the data open to multi-layer attacks
from elsewhere in the border zone any day. You go from having to make sure
the DBMS isn't cracked to having to monitor what traffic goes out of the
database. Either way, you're monitoring, and it's a lot easier to monitor
this way.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.