[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-566691 ] check for subscriber fails w/ moderated

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:38:39 -0700

Bugs item #566691, was opened at 2002-06-10 01:09
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=566691&group_id=103

Category: security/privacy
Group: 2.0.x

Initial Comment:
When you run a list that is non-moderated, but you limit
posts to the subscribers list, a post by a non-member
results in this error:

Reason: Post by non-member to a members-only list

If you go into "Privacy Options" and change "Must posts
be approved by an administrator?" and
maintain "Restrict posting privilege to list members" a
post by a non-subscriber results in THIS reason:

Reason:  Post to moderated list

Unless I am missing a configuration option, I believe this
is a flaw in the order in which mailman is checking
posts.  Even if a list is moderated, the reason this
individual post was rejected should still read

Reason: Post by non-member to a members-only list

or, a new reason should be made like this:

Reason: Post by a non-member to a members-only
AND moderated list

This may seem like a silly request, but if you run a
members only list that happens to be moderated as
well, you run into the problem of accidentally approving a
post from a non-member when the content of that post
was "on topic".

Is there a fix for this?  Would this classify as a bug?

Does anyone know of any other work arounds?

When you have a few thousand people on a mailing list,
its not really easy to realize on your own that a specific
individual isn't a subscriber to the list.  Especially when
you have multiple individuals help administrate the list
itself.