[Mailman-Developers] Features query

Steven Clift slc@publicus.net
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:16:33 -0500

I am a huge Mailman fan, listowner, non-techie ... I just checked out
the member web interface for the 2.1 version and archive back a
couple months for this list.

Comment:

Get MIME verse plain text ... none of my list users will know what
MIME means.  If the default for lists plain text for users, then I
would reverse the question and explain what a MIME digest is, perhaps
list a few e-mail programs/versions+ that support it and few big ones
that don't.

Questions:

1. Passwords - will it be there be one universal password for all
lists a person has on a server (particularly for the autogenerated
passwords)?

2. Daily list post limits - Can we technically limit the number of
posts per person per day.  With a two post limit, an attempt to post
a third time would either moderate or bounce the post based on the
list settings.

2. Archives - Are there plans for enhanced integrated archives in
2.1?  If not, is there a sub-group working on this topic?  I'd like
to connect with anyone who has implement an elegant solution here
(and figured out how to munge e-mail addresses to prevent e-mail
harvesting) that allows a wrap around of a sites general look and
navigation.  Further, what about a "Subjects" digest option that
would only e-mail out the subject lines with links to the archived
posts the line below?

3. Syndication - Minnesota E-Democracy <http://e-democracy.org> is
slowly moving our remaining lists off Yahoogroups.  We'd like to
connect "what is happening now" on our mailing lists to our home page
using RSS or something similar to place automatically updated subject
line links to specific archived posts.  I am aware of what
http://mail-archive.com does.

3. List searching/monitoring - How about e-mail list archive searches
via the web and the ability to be notified via e-mail when lists you
are directly subscribe to use your keywords.  Imagine 300 e-mail
lists across Minnesota - the value of our very public local community
discussions and statewide topical information exchange e-lists would
be greatly enhanced if people had a non-list member "lurking" option.

4. Enhanced directory information/statistics - I am interested in the
automatic generation of statistics that would help a user determine
if a list is worth joining (i.e. is it alive, member numbers, message
volume) as well as the creation of additional fields
<http://www.publicus.net/opengroups/meta.html> that list managers of
"public" lists can opt into to using.  The big idea is that groups
sites using Mailman could gather and distribute their directory
information (not unlike listserv or the list directories at
Yahoogroups) making it easier to find e-lists of interest.
(Obviously major anti-e-mail harvesting controls would have to put in
place or these concepts could make it too easy to overwhelm list
owners with non-member e-mail posting attempts.)

5. Member directory - You might write this off as a web forum thing,
but E-Democracy could really use an option that would assign every
list member on our server a public page where they could opt-in to
tell other members about themselves.  Something like
http://www.mnforum.org/mailman/members/clift@publicus.net
>From here we could also hang links to their posts across the
different list public archives (has anyone seen a good MYSQL e-list
archive system) as well as consider options for E-Bay like ratings
from other participants on substance and style (we host
political/community discussions and we need tools that enhance member-
to-member self-governance and accountability).

I know this is a lot and much of this might be Mailman 5.0.  My
honest sense is that Mailman, once it has a user-oriented web
interface
for list members, simple, yet powerful web archives, and a DMoz-like
directory scheme for public lists, could become an open source
wildfire that saves low cost/free e-mail group communication on the
Net as Yahoogroups folds due to the lack profitability.  My whole
deal is to promote tools that allow people to organize and
communicate in groups, particularly in local communities around the
world.
The truth is that the most important freedom on the Internet is the
freedom of electronic association NOT speech.  Speech is only
effective or powerful when you have an audience.  E-mail lists are
the most powerful tool for group communication and freedom on the
Internet and I see the increasingly enhanced progess of Mailman as
one of the key democratization on the Internet and honestly, in the
"real" world.  Keep up the good work.

On the side, if you don't think I am full of b.s. and are interested
in connecting with other "civic-interested" techies that I have met
around the world (I speak on e-democracy globally), please drop me a
note: clift@publicus.net

Steven Clift
clift@publicus.net
http://www.publicus.net