[Mailman-Developers] Anti-spam "killer app"?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:37:54 -0700

On 8/17/02 12:37 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw@kanga.nu> wrote:

> Keep thinking about it.  In essence it is a merely a finer grained
> scoring system.  It doesn't fundamentally change the spam cold war;

Actually, I think it does fundamentally change it. You're not just making
better guesses at what spammers say. You're effectively building a digital
signature of what your REAL mail looks like, and comparing messages to it.
The further it deviates from your real mail, the spammier it is.

The only two ways for spammers to avoid this are to move to graphics, which
can still be whacked on, and to stop using open relays and other things that
leave noticable signatures in the headers.

It might not catch the smartest spam, but it'll sure catch everything else.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek