[Mailman-Developers] Another extend.py thing.. (was Re: MemberAdaptor... trouble with API?)

Steve Spicklemire steve@spvi.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:46:10 -0500

Hi (again) mailman folk....

Another issue I've bumped into when trying to use the 'extend.py' method
of modifying the behavior of a mailman (2.1b3) mailing list is pickling
the modified list. It seems when a replace the authenticateMember method
of the list, as described in my previous mail (and below), mailman has
trouble saving any changes to the list:

I get tracebacks that end up like this:

   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 487, in Save
     self.__save(dict)
   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 447, in __save
     cPickle.dump(dict, fp, 1)
cPickle.PicklingError: Can't pickle <function new_authenticateMember at
0x82e77e4>: it's not found as __main__.new_authenticateMember

I think the basic issue is that when I assign the modified method to an
instance of a MailList, it get's stored in the instance's __dict__,
which during the "Save" method, is then copied and (unsuccessfully)
pickled. Do I also need to replace the "Save" method so that it avoids
attempting to pickle stuff it shouldn't/can't? (as in all the methods I
replaced, including itself?)

thanks!
-steve

Does this approach still really work? Do I really need to subclass
MailList