[Mailman-Developers] Anti-spam "killer app"?

Daniel Buchmann Daniel.Buchmann@bibsys.no
22 Aug 2002 16:13:57 +0200

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
While reading the article by Paul Graham, something came to my mind;
what will happen if the user is not english?

Let's say 99.99% of all spam is in english (which is my experience), and
my mother tongue is norwegian. ;)
Let's also say that I usually never receive mails written in english.

The Bayesian approach would then put all english words in a bad-words
list (except words found in headers), and all norwegian words in a
good-words list, wouldn't it?
1. What happens the day I join an english mailing list, or receive a
mail written in english?
2. What happens if I receive a mail written in norwegian but containing
a few english words, i.e. quoting someone?

I'd say it would discard mail #1, but let through #2...
What do you think..?
:)

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 23:37, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On 8/17/02 12:37 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw@kanga.nu> wrote:
>=20
> > Keep thinking about it.  In essence it is a merely a finer grained
> > scoring system.  It doesn't fundamentally change the spam cold war;
>=20
> Actually, I think it does fundamentally change it. You're not just making
> better guesses at what spammers say. You're effectively building a digita=
> signature of what your REAL mail looks like, and comparing messages to it=
.
> The further it deviates from your real mail, the spammier it is.
>=20
> The only two ways for spammers to avoid this are to move to graphics, whi=
ch
> can still be whacked on, and to stop using open relays and other things t=
hat
> leave noticable signatures in the headers.
>=20
> It might not catch the smartest spam, but it'll sure catch everything els=
e.

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available