[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-596565 ] mailman should use alphabetic U/GIDs

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:03:23 -0700

Bugs item #596565, was opened at 2002-08-17 17:13
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=596565&group_id=103

Category: configuring/installing
Group: 2.1 beta

Initial Comment:
In short: "compiling in numeric IDs is Very Evil."

The long story:

I'm trying to put together a packaging environment for
NetBSD's "pkgsrc" to allow easy build and install of
Mailman.  Unfortunately, this is currently impossible
thanks to the fact that alphabetic IDs are resolved to
numerics at compile time.  (Nearly all packages
requiring cutstom IDs resolve them at runtime using get
{pw,gr}nam(3)).

Thanks to this behavior, it is not currently possible to:

* create a prebuilt binary package of Mailman, and
install it later on a system without the source tarball;
* migrate an existing installation of Mailman to another
system that has a uid/gid conflict without recompiling.

There are other problems that compiled-in numeric IDs
cause, but these two really stick out.

I'm not a Pythonhead, so I don't claim to know how to fix
this correctly.  However, I've attached a diff for
configure.in that sets the framework for the start of fixing
this problem.  In particular, the diff changes the
MM_FIND_*_ID macros to report the ID that matched
without resolving names to numbers, and allows the
build to proceed if forced --with-{user,group}name
options are specified and those IDs don't exist at build
time.  (The latter case helps autopackaging in systems
like NetBSD's pkgsrc, where the IDs may be
autocreated *between* the "configure" and "make
install" phases.)

The things that still need to be done include fixing the
main scripts, and the checkperms logic, to cope with
either numeric or alphabetic IDs; and possibly adding a
runtime configuration of IDs (which really helps if the
admin needs to reconfigure or change the mail or Web
servers, while avoiding to rebuild Mailman).

I openly welcome Python gurus to look into what's
*really* needed to fix this....