[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Patches-422468 ] Avoid multiple prefixes in Subject

noreply@sourceforge.net noreply@sourceforge.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:31:12 -0700

You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=422468&group_id=103

Category: None
>Group: Mailman 2.0.x

Initial Comment:

Mailman often erroneously add more than one "list-prefix" to the
Subject line if the Subject contains non-ASCII characters.

Before adding a prefix Mailman tries to see if there already is a prefix
(for example in the case of a reply to an earlier post to the same list).
But Mailman is not "aware" that the prefix can be buried in the
MIME-encoded part of the line.

Therefore Mailman can add a 2nd prefix.
The receiving mail client sees two prefixes after decoding the MIME stuff.
In the next reply to the list we can get three prefixes, and so on ....
And example Subject line can look like:

       Subject: Re: [Test] Re: [Test] Re: [Test] räkmsörgås

The solution is to:

    - MIME-decode the subject
    - add list-name-prefix (if it isn't already there)
    - MIME-reencode the subject

I have reported this solution earlier to "mailman-developers", see:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2001-April/004007.html

The problems I describe here has been reported as bug #230400:

    [ #230400 ] German Umlaute mess up subject-line and body

I attach my patch below.
I have used it successfully on 2.0.1, and the file patched hasn't changed
from 2.0.1 to 2.0.5.

/Johan Holmberg

Comment By: Dmitry Kohmanyuk (dk379)